KLPT timeline

Our History

The Trust was founded in 1958 by residents who loved King’s Lynn and were alarmed at the post-war demolition of many of the town’s buildings.

The impetus for the establishment of a local preservation society came from members of the Civic Society, who had been offered the north and south ranges of Hampton Court to restore. They embarked upon a fund-raising campaign to set up a Trust to undertake the work.

The King’s Lynn Preservation Trust was formally launched on 24 October 1958 at a well-attended event at the Town Hall.

Eight members of the Civic Society formed the first management committee with Lady Evershed as the founding Chairman. She remained in this post until 1985.

1958

HAMPTON COURT – THE TRUST’S FIRST PROJECT

The Trust embarked upon a restoration of the north and south wings of Hampton Court in Nelson Street, a building of particular architectural and historic importance.

The two wings were converted into flats.  This was in keeping with the Trust’s initial aim of providing housing accommodation at reasonable rents.  Find out more about Hampton Court

1963

THORESBY COLLEGE RESTORED

This quadrangular building, built as a college to house chantry priests in the early 1500s, and named after its founder, Thomas Thoresby, was in a very poor state by 1960.

In 1963 the entire complex was bought by Ruth, Lady Fermoy and her daughter, Viscountess Althorpe (later, Mrs Shand-Kydd) and presented to the King’s Lynn Preservation Trust for restoration, with the request that the building be used for the benefit of the whole community.  Restoration was completed in 1968.  Find out more about Thorseby College

1971

77 LONDON ROAD SAVED

Situated at the north end of Buckingham Terrace, this large former house was saved from demolition and converted into six flats.  Find out more about 77 London Road

1972

RADICAL PLANS FOR PRIORY LANE

In 1972 the Trust purchased Priory Lane Cottages and an ambitious restoration project commenced, supported by grants, loans and public donations. The plans, drawn up by architect Michael Gooch, were quite radical. The archway was to be re-opened and the cottages ‘turned around’, with their former front doors closed up and new entrances inserted facing the churchyard.  Find out more about Priory Lane Cottages

1975

28-32 KING STREET ACQUIRED BY THE TRUST

The three tenements were acquired by the Trust in 1975 who promptly arranged for surveys and plans. Gales in January 1978 blew in the brickwork of the north gable of No 30 and restoration commenced before more damage was suffered. In May 1980, the restored shell was opened to public view. Investigations revealed a fascinating record of how the buildings have been modified over the centuries.  Find out more about 28-32 King Street

1976

COTTAGES IN PILOT STREET

The West Norfolk District Council invited the King’s Lynn Preservation Trust to undertake the restoration of six former fishermen’s cottages.  Find out more about Pilot Street

1979

SOUTH LYNN STREET SCENE PRESERVED

1 All Saints Street and 5 & 6 Church Lane, a former butcher’s shop and adjoining cottages close to All Saints’ Church, were saved from demolition and restored as three residential properties.  Find out more about 1 All Saints St and 5&6 Church La

1986

23-25 KING STREET BECOMES LADY EVERSHED HOUSE

This important 17th century house, which had suffered from extensive neglect and vandalism, was sympathetically restored and renamed Lady Evershed House in memory of the Trust’s founder Chairman.  Find out more about 23-25 King Street

1986

26 ST NICHOLAS STREET

Important to the street scene of Chapel Street and St Ann’s Street, this house and workshop was restored in 1986-7 with the grant aid from English Heritage.  Find out more about 26 St Nicholas Street

1997

THE GREENLAND FISHERY, ONE OF VERY FEW JACOBEAN BUILDINGS IN NORFOLK TO HAVE SURVIVED WITH SO LITTLE ALTERATION

In 1997 the entire property was transferred from the Norwich Archaeological Trust to the King’s Lynn Preservation Trust  Find out more about The Greenland Fishery

2002

CLIFTON HOUSE RESTORED TO SHELL FINISH

Clifton House and its adjoining Tower needed extensive repairs to its roof, windows and floors to make it weather proof and sound. Following essential restoration, it was sold in 2005.  Find out more about Clifton House and Tower

2008
Anniversary

THE TRUST’S 50th ANNIVERSARY

The Trust reached its 50th anniversary and was honoured by a visit from Her Majesty the Queen.

2010

90 LONDON ROAD

The Trust was given 90 London Road, a derelict former town house, by the Borough Council. Work to restore it to a single family home started in 2010 and was completed at the end of 2014. Find out more about 90 London Road

2018
Anniversary

THE TRUST’S 60th ANNIVERSARY

On Friday 16 November the King’s Lynn Preservation Trust celebrated its 60th anniversary at a special event hosted by the historian and writer, Simon Thurley, and Anna Keay, Director of the Landmark Trust, at their home – Clifton House, Queen Street, King’s Lynn – one of over a dozen properties in the town restored by us. Happy Anniversary!