Five Remarkable Women

King’s Lynn thanks these forward-thinking ladies for their parts in creating the Preservation Trust

KLPT Ladies - HRH The Queen Mother and Lady Evershed

JOAN, LADY EVERSHED was appointed Chairman of the first Management Committee. She remained in post until shortly before her death in 1985. She was passionate about King’s Lynn and its buildings and tireless in her efforts to campaign, fundraise and to enthuse others. She oversaw the Trust’s first seven projects. QUEEN ELIZABETH, THE QUEEN MOTHER took an interest in the work of the Trust from its earliest days. She was made the Trust’s first Patron in 1972, and held that title until her death in 2002.

KLPT Ladies - Lady Fermoy

Devas, Anthony; Ruth, Lady Fermoy (1908-1993); King’s Lynn Arts Centre; http://www.artuk.org/artworks/ruth-lady-fermoy-19081993-14
Along with her daughter Viscountess Althorp,gave Thoresby College to the Trust in 1963, enabling the Trust to take on its second project. She was already well-known in Lynn, having campaigned to save St George’s Guildhall and founded the King’s Lynn Festival in 1951. She was Lady-in-Waiting and a personal friend to the Queen Mother.

Nora Lane

The Trust owes its origins to MRS NORA LANE who rescued Hampton Court from demolition in 1954. She set about restoring it before realising that the project was too big for one person. In conjunction with the Civic Society it was agreed that a building preservation trust was needed to undertake the project. Following a public appeal to raise funds, the King’s Lynn Preservation Trust was officially launched at a well-attended event at the Town Hall on 24 October 1958.

KLPT Ladies - Diana Bullock

MISS DIANA BULLOCK was a founder member of the Management Committee who worked alongside Lady Evershed for many years. Her home, the Greenland Fishery, became the first registered office of the Trust.