London Road was laid out at the beginning of the 19th century and Buckingham Terrace was completed in 1828 on land previously owned by rich Quaker, Thomas Buckingham. The property was administered by The Buckingham Trust in the interests of the Society of Friends until the lease expired in 1924.
Number 77 London Road is at the north end of the terrace and was designed on a more commodious scale than the rest because the builder intended it for his own home.
By 1970 number 77 had become dilapidated and an application was made for permission to demolish. This was opposed by the Trust and other local bodies and the application was refused. The Trust subsequently acquired the property and converted it into six flats which were sold off to private owners on long leases. The Trust retained the freehold of the property to ensure that it was maintained in good condition.